News from the Staffordshire Council of Voluntary Youth Services
FREE SUMMER PROJECT FOR 16 OR 17 YEARS OLDS
‘We are looking for a group of young people aged 16 & 17 from Staffordshire to take part in our Summer War Graves Camp on Sunday 24th July to Sunday 7th August 2022. Young people will either live, go to school or attend a youth organisation in Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent excluded as funding is for Staffs LEA).
Young people from Germany and Staffordshire have been working together for 60 years to find out about each others cultures, learn about reconciliation and remembrance and take part in fun activities.
Every year, around 30 young people from both countries spend two weeks in Staffordshire, taking part in a packed programme including things like:
- Trips and visits – Coventry Cathedral, National Memorial Arboretum, Imperial War Museum, Bletchley Park.
- Leisure Activities – City visits, sports, team building games, canoeing, free time, and more.
- Working at the German Military Cemetery on Cannock Chase and learning about the history of the site and tidying the area around the graves.
- Spending time with veterans from local branches of the Staffordshire Regiment Association and Royal British Legion.
- Attending a remembrance ceremony at the cemetery alongside the Chairman of Staffordshire County Council and other dignitaries.
- Planning and hosting a cultural evening for friends of the project.
The camp takes place in South Staffordshire. The project is free and all accommodation, meals, and activities are included.
If you are a young person or know a young person who may be interested in taking part in this year’s camp, click the link below to apply.
If you have any questions, contact Claire John at Claire@staffscvys.org.uk or on 07429 734172.
For further information and to apply, click here: